The RYA Marine Radio Short Range Certificate (SRC) is the minimum qualification required to operate marine VHF radio equipment on a UK flagged vessel. This includes both fixed and handheld equipment with and without Digital Selective Calling (DSC). It is obtained by successfully completing an SRC course and an exam conducted at an RYA Recognised Training Centre.
The SRC course may be taken in a classroom or online through an RYA Recognised Training Centre. There is no age limit for taking the SRC course although exam candidates must be 16 years old on the day of the exam.
Please be aware of the pre-reading required for this course. A book will be sent to you prior to the course start date, the study of which will take approx 3 hours. The tutor will expect every student to be familiar with its contents before commencing the classroom work.
Course subjects include:
- Routine operation of marine VHF radio including Digital Selective Calling
- The correct VHF channels (frequencies) to be used for each type of communication
- Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- Ship to shore communication
- Practical use of Marine VHF DSC radios
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponders (SART)
Please note there is an additional cost of £60 payable to the RYA for the examination which needs to be done before commencing the course – see link below.
You will also need to bring one passport sized photo to the course which will be used for certification purposes.
If there is no courses displaying below please register interest by emailing email@example.com
- March 14th-18th
14th March 2019 - 18th March 2019
6:30 pm - 10:30 pm
- May 8th - 11th
8th May 2019 - 11th May 2019
6:00 pm - 11:00 am
- May 16th - 20th
16th May 2019 - 20th May 2019
6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Winter Radio Course Day 1
7th December 2019
9:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Winter Radio Course Day 2
8th December 2019
9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Venue: Ballyholme Yacht Club
Venue Phone: 028 9127 1467Address: